What I Learned from taking a break from Instagram

Having used the app for so long had made me immersed in this "virtual facade" for so long that I had forgotten to draw the difference between real life and social media and so getting out of the app for a while really helped me in gaining clarity.

Recently, I reinstalled instagram since after a very long time I had the time to spend just scrolling by posts. But as I opened the app, I realized a lot of things about myself and the nature of social media in general.

Firstly, the social media break made me lose interest in the lives of those people who didn't really matter to me in real life. Now this might seem absurd at first since that should not be happening anyway. Why would I have any interest in people whom I barely know? But Instagram makes you want to know more about them. All that everyone is doing is glamourising their lives in the best ways possible by putting the most aesthetic filters, the sassiest captions and the most inside jokes possible. Having used the app for so long had made me immersed in this "virtual facade" for so long that I had forgotten to draw the difference between real life and social media and so getting out of the app for a while really helped me in gaining clarity.

Secondly, I gained control of my time. Often times I would realize I had spent countless hours just scrolling through Instagram posts and reels without even realizing it. And the scary part was that I scrolled even when I felt bored of it because it was still a good escape from the productive but challenging tasks I had on hold. Like I had discussed in my previous post, the algorithm is also built in a way which keeps you wanting more (check it out if you haven't still!) And so it's way too easy to get trapped in the scrolling addiction if you aren't careful and mindful enough.

Thirdly, and most importantly, I stopped overthinking about what and how I wanted to say things. Now don't get me wrong here. I love writing and uploading these posts on Instagram but the perfectionism, the numbers really take a toll on you. Also you look at these perfect posts with awesome graphics and great visuals, written in the most intellectual ways possible and here when you look at your amateur writing, you can't help but wonder and feel insecure. 

It's definitely worth mentioning that my instagram blog keeps in me the passion to do better, and my creative energy flowing which is what keeps making me coming backing to the app. (and ofc all the lovely comments I get too!)

Also, I won't give false promises that I would post every week or every day, but I will definitely try to be as regular as possible! Thank you so so much for waiting! :D

PS: Do let me know what kind of content would you like me to do on the blog and here on the gram!

 

Comments

Popular Posts

How To Break the Cycle of Demotivation #Day9

ART 101 #Day26 #Aagaaz